Wednesday, May 17, 2006

neighbors

26comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No words...

Nicely expressed.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Klatuu o embuçado said...

Nice photos!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Everytime I come to this blog, I come away in awe of your artistry. Very good! :)

8:16 PM  
Blogger B said...

It's hard to comment.

I hope the remaining partner can see this. Or take real flowers if he can't. This is clearly better, but any gesture means so much when you feel so alone.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Your story telling with words, sounds, and visuals draws me in so quickly. You express yourself beautifully. And I thank you for sharing those expressions with us all here.
Funny how death makes us think and re-evaluate things. 'It is good for us to go to the house of mourning', the book of Ecclesiastes says, 'because that is the end of every man and the living should take this to heart'.
Thank you again for sharing those things you have taken to heart.

1:44 AM  
Blogger somogyvari said...

Beautiful and worthy.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Internet Street Philosopher said...

I like the picture with the raindrops and the green backdrop. Is that grass or leaves?

12:09 PM  
Blogger Aaron Valdez said...

beautiful man.

12:31 PM  
Blogger MrPerformance said...

Very touching and well done. Someone once told me that the reason there are cut flowers at a funeral is so the dead don’t die alone. Very nice Dan, I like how you run the emotional gamut with your vlog.

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So poetic. You express the inner world of these kind of experiences so eloquently.

8:22 PM  
Blogger missbhavens said...

I've always thought flowers at funerals (and the fact that they are tokens of well-wishing one minutes and then shared grief the next) was odd...Mr. Performance's comment above gave a very sound theory. I like it.

I found this especially touching because as a New Yorker living in a packed apartment building, I'm familiar with gossipy neighbors and the loss of a not-so-well-known neighbor and not knowing quite what to do about it. I, however, lack the visual and musical skills to pour those feelings into a finely crafted work of art.

The rain and the music and the colors blended together seamlessly...I nearly reached toward my computer screen to wipe away the damp.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

wow. very moving. It's so hard to know what to do around death, especially when it's someone you don't know all that well, but want to offer something...

2:28 AM  
Blogger Peter Matthes said...

That is a nice little film.

2:37 AM  
Blogger amy said...

i love the healing green. the dripdrops are like comforting gentle heavenly tears in response to a quiet transition.

quiet for you. maybe not so quiet for them.

they hid their pain. they clenched their teeth. they screamed into pillows. and they hated that lady.

probably.

may God bless and bring them rest.

that video was the best funeral offering i've yet to see.

that cut flowers thing is very interesting, too. as i wipe up dead petals and clean out old moldy stems from yet another vase, i think that having flowers around is a loving reminder that "all things must pass."

it's a brave thing to go to that gentle place in a world that loves racecars, bullying, and busty girls. bravo, friend.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Riona said...

That brought tears to my eyes. Like Amy, the raindrops seemed like tears to me. It's raining here too.

What a beautiful offering.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Holly Hodder said...

An NYC gal-pal pushed me to your vlog. Nice work.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Stumbled upon you and am dazzled -

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful imagery and even more beautiful thoughts. On flowers...marigolds are set out during dia de los muertos because they are so pungent that their fragrance can reach the dead...i don't know if this follows thru other all saints days, but in the idea of it I find solace.

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

& on man's inhumanity to man...it seems to me we must all be guardian's of civility, of honorable interaction...I've been trying to locate all the great books and essays on the subject...if you've any suggestions

6:04 PM  
Blogger gman said...

Daniel great piece once again. The blend of soundtrack and visuals are amazingly powerful together.

"I hope he didn't live these last years wondering if something more could have been done."

Seems that death always asks the living the question of 'what more can be done; what was left undone' doesn't it? You're asking yourself if flowers would have made a difference when he was alive. I pondered similar thoughts two months ago when a friend committed suicide. Many of your films seem to have this simultaneous theme of "carpe diem" and regret for not having done so. These themes are very fascinating to me and I think are worth exploring deeper. Keep up the thoughtful forays into these themes.

2:48 AM  
Blogger Tony Hall said...

It's Sunday morning here in London. Your words, and images, and homemade music create a little space to reflect. To think about 'neighbours' and friends and living to die, and flowers, which are wondeful at any time. This short, reflective, even poetic, film provokes me to think about film-making in a another way.

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your work is so true and so relevant. How you capture the feeling of light, and hope, along with the obvious grief is graceful and stunning. Thank you.

9:20 AM  
Blogger ryanne said...

i havent made art in a while
just talking heads
you are inspiring me...

4:29 PM  
Blogger m said...

beautiful.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

this blog came from the heart. human and real.

thank you!

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Deutschland said...

I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned.I wanted to thank you for this great article.I enjoyed every little bit part of it and I will be waiting for the new updates.The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lot of great information which can be helpful in some or the other way.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home